Thinking about tax season? Here is our 20-point checklist to ensure you’re maximizing your Canadian corporate tax return in 2023.
As a Canadian business owner, maximizing your corporate tax return can help you save money and increase your profits. However, with the constantly changing tax laws and regulations, it can be difficult to keep up with the latest strategies for maximizing your tax return. Here are the top 20 ways to maximize your Canadian corporate tax return in 2023.
First, it is important to note that the tax return deadline in Canada is April 30th of each year. However, for corporations with fiscal years that end on a date other than December 31st, the tax return deadline may be different. Make sure to check with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for your specific deadline.
Now, let us dive into the ways you can maximize your tax return:
- Deduct your home office expenses if you work from home.
- Deduct your business-related travel expenses.
- Make sure to deduct all of your eligible business expenses, including office rent, equipment, and supplies.
- Consider using the accelerated capital cost allowance (ACCA) to claim a larger deduction for capital assets.
- Take advantage of the Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) program to claim a tax credit for research and development activities.
- Claim the small business deduction if your business is eligible.
- Consider setting up a family trust to split-income and lower your tax bill.
- Deduct your charitable donations made by your business.
- Maximize your RRSP contributions to reduce your personal tax bill.
- Consider deferring income to a later year to lower your current tax bill.
- Deduct your professional fees, including legal and accounting fees.
- Deduct your insurance premiums related to your business.
- Deduct your interest expenses on loans related to your business.
- Deduct your bad debt expenses.
- Use the net capital loss from previous years to reduce your current tax bill.
- Consider incorporating your business to take advantage of lower tax rates.
- Use tax-efficient investment strategies, such as investing in dividend-paying stocks.
- Consider hiring a tax professional to help you maximize your tax return.
- Keep detailed records of all your business expenses to ensure you do not miss any deductions.
- Stay up to date with the latest tax laws and regulations to ensure you are taking advantage of all available deductions.
It is important to remember that not all deductions may be applicable to your specific business. Make sure to consult with a tax professional to determine which deductions you’re eligible for.
Lastly, it is worth noting that there are a few new tax changes for 2023, including changes to the Canada Workers Benefit (CWB) and the Canada Recovery Hiring Program (CRHP). Make sure to stay informed on these changes to maximize your tax return.
In conclusion, maximizing your Canadian corporate tax return can help you save money and increase your profits. By taking advantage of available deductions and staying up to date with the latest tax laws and regulations, you can ensure you are maximizing your tax return in 2023.
Tax-efficient planning for your business can be complex—we’re here to help you! Reach out to us if you require support preparing your 2022 corporate tax return.