Can rent paid by a student for residence be claimed on the personal tax return?

No, the rental expense cannot be claimed as either a tax deduction or a tax credit. However, the student may be eligible for the Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit if applicable criteria are met. This benefit is generally paid to low-to-moderate-income individuals of at least 18 years of age for paying rent or property tax.

To learn more about this benefit, eligibility criteria and application instructions, visit . Ensure supporting documentation such as lease agreement and/or rental receipts are kept in case they are requested for by the CRA .