Do investors who receive form 1099 or form 1042 from the US have to file a US tax return?

No, as long as the proper withholding taxes were held on your dividends and interest income. If you are a US citizen and live in Canada then you would be required to file a US tax return unless you meet the criteria for the exemptions.